Saturday, December 26, 2009

What's In A Number

Tomorrow I turn 40. To me, it really isn't a big deal. But driving to my parents house, I thought a lot about numbers and what, if any, are their importance.

Seeing as my birthday is 2 days after Christmas, I went about 6 months thinking I was a year older than I actually was. I was driving to work and actually had to think long and hard as to my age. As many of you know triathlon races age you based upon your birthday. I thought I was 39 for 6 months when I was actually 38.

I am a numbers kind of person and I think this fits into to my anal-retentive personality. I like stats. I like figuring how much a business makes based upon people they attract. I like figuring out my pace, speed, distance and often during stupid laps in the pool, I do mental math. When I race, I wear a watch but I don't have a computer on my bike. That way, I can take a few minutes to figure out how fast I am going based upon time.

But anyway, back to being 40. To me, not a big deal. I think the following ages were more important:
  • 5 years old: I am now going to school.
  • 13 years old: Now a teenager and everything as you know, changes.
  • 18 years old: You are a legal adult and can be drafted into a war. Really, I am an adult?
  • 21 years old: I can legally drink...finally. Big day for everyone.
  • 30 years old: I think this is when you really become an adult. No more 20's and it is time to move on with your life

That said, I think athletes, regardless of their sport, are number fanatics. My sister had to have the #11 while her close friend had to have #8. I could tell you story after story about these number combinations, but this blog is about me, not them.

For me, my number was 5. I always had a uniform that had the #5 in it. When I out grew #5, my number was 15. When I played basketball at PSC, my number became 23. 2 + 3 = 5! Since then, #23 has been it for me. Love the number and always try to find some combination of it. I also love the #3, as in "DJ for 3". Three points has always been better than 2 points, but if you make one of each, you have 5!

As endurance athletes, we are number crazy. I have been trying to avoid the numbers, but this past year I gave in. I now have a 140.6 AND 70.3 sticker on my vehicle. Ironman and 1/2 Ironman were not enough, I needed to have the numbers. We are all fascinated with how many miles and yards, time and distance and we all brag about it. They are all based around numbers.

There are 5K's, 10K's, 13.1 miles and 26.2 mile running races. Stickers, shirts, and vanity plates all have these numbers. People rarely ask you about the race without us commenting on our finishing time or place. For years, and still to this day, I consider myself "Mr. 4th Place". Never in the top 3, but often in the top 4. Are we bragging or are we just proud of the accomplishments?

In 2010 and now 40 years old, I am trying to figure out what numbers I want to accomplish. I have racked my brain but can't seem to come to a logical conclusion. Should I do 40 races, ride 4000 miles, run 400 miles?

I know I am searching for new and different challenges this year. Even though I just turned 40, it is really just a number. I am hoping that at age 40, I will be able to push my body like I never have before. Father Time will tell.

No comments: