Sunday, October 18, 2009

Parents Need To....

Never did I think I would write about youth sports and how parents may be the biggest issue. You may ask why I am writing this in a triathlon blog and I promise to connect the dots by the end of my rant.

I reluctantly agreed to coach my daughter's 6 year old soccer team this fall. As a coach, I really feel it is important for Jordan to experience different people "coaching" her in her athletic endeavors. Whether it is soccer, basketball, dance, t-ball, active games or whatever, I really want her to get feedback from someone other than her dad.

So anyway, this soccer team is based out of the local community center. It is well run and organized, which I really like. We spent the first 3 weeks just practicing, getting to know the game a little bit and most importantly, have fun. Like many youth sports, parents are on the sidelines chatting and watching some of what is going on.

After the "practice" sessions, we finally graduate to live "games". The rules have been adjusted so that everyone gets to play and that the game doesn't resemble magnet ball. Offense can only play offense and defense can only play defense on their respective sides of the field. As coaches, we referee, make substitutions but most of all, work to make sure everyone is having fun.

This past Thursday, we were playing our last true "game". The coach, and I use this term lightly, had one thing in mind, win. Each coach has the option of how they play their own players and before the game the coaches agree on some general rules (ie. number of kids playing at a time). Well, although he agreed with the rules, he of course, did his own thing.

Now, onto the game. For the first time, we had some obnoxious parents. These particular two moms had nothing better to do than to yell at the kids, on BOTH teams. They were telling the players where to throw the ball in, how to throw it in, making calls and being just plain ridiculous. As the game progressed, I did become more frustrated at these parents. They felt entitled to say and do whatever they felt. It really took the fun out of the game.

And as for the coach, as many youth coaches do, he felt that winning was more important than letting the little girl who was picking grass play. He kept in his two biggest, and best, players and allowed them to do anything they wanted. Apparently, beating us by 5 0or 6 goals was not enough. However, their parents where happy.

Let me now connect the dots for you. Triathlon is an "adult sport" at this time. The USAT is putting great emphasis on creating youth programs to develop triathlon into a multi-aged sport. More and more race directors are beginning to put on youth triathlons with the focus on participation, healthy lifestyle and safety.

But again, the parents have already begun to screw this up. I have witnessed parents bullying other kids over transition spots. I have seen parents endangering the safety of other kids to benefit their own child. And I have seen parents get angry with volunteers and RD's for no reason other than their child did not me their own expectations. I already know of one RD who has cancelled the kids race because of the parents. Way to go mom and dad!

In closing, I think parents need to know their role. They need to get their kid there on time, be supportive and keep their mouths closed. Parents, you are not living vicariously through your kids and because you were a high school hero, this does not permit you to be a jerk on the sideline or in transition.

Race Directors are providing a service and unlike youth sports, if you continue to act this way, they will pull the plug. Just like you say your kids, I say this to you: Grow up.

No comments: