Sunday, July 5, 2009

Random Thoughts While Riding

Today was my last long ride in preparation for Lake Placid. I rode from Shaftsbury, Vt. to Bristol, NH. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ride 117 miles through two states. In fact, the thought never crossed my mind. But, I needed to get a ride in.

Anyway, while riding, one has a lot of time to think, no matter how small the brain. During this 6 plus hour endeavor, I had some random thoughts that I figured I would share with everyone. Remember, I said these were random and were not going to change the world.

Random Thought #1:
  • Why don't cyclist acknowledge triathletes? One the ride, I made it a point to make eye contact with all riders. I usually give them a nod, a little wave, or something. Every cyclist but 2 ignored me. Was it because my outfit didn't match or have a team name on it? Did they not like the TT bike? Were they upset that triathletes wear sleeveless jerseys? Do they know that only one major triathlete got busted for drugs while cyclist drop like flies?

Random Thought #2:

  • Bag Balm...what a great name and it does wonders for saddle sores!

Random Thought #3:

  • Hills. I am freaking tired of riding up hills. Are there any flat roads in New Hampshire or Vermont? And why are there MORE uphills than downhills?

Random Thought #4:

  • I'm 39 and why am I doing this again?

Random Thought #5:

  • Is there any better job than volunteering to body mark at a triathlon? You get to mark the shoulders, thighs and calves of extremely fit women (or men). And, they don't get mad! There's more, but I'll keep the rest to myself. LOL!

Random Thought #6:

  • Why are the roads in this area so crappy? Bumps, potholes, cracks, ruts and more. The roads are brutal and they are awful to ride on. I swear my bike is going to break in half or I am going to lose a filling someday riding on them.

Random Thought #7:

  • Why are there so many freakin' hills? Can I get a downhill, please?

Random Thought #8:

  • I need a coke.

Random Thought #9:

  • I think I might hate the wind more than hills. Is that possible? And how can I be riding into a head wind going east, THEN going west?

Random Thought #10:

  • Why do they call it a mini van? It's not small, and you can put a ton of crap in it.

Random Thought #11:

  • I can't imagine doing this 21 days in a row like they do in the Tour De France. Not only that, how can they ride up hills so fast?

Random Thought #12:

  • Am I going in the right direction? I hope so because I don't want to ride any further than I have too.

Random Thought #13:

  • I used to have a bag phone. Glad cell phones got smaller and more user friendly?

Random Thought #14:

  • And one time, at band camp...

Random Thought #15:

  • Ohh, me likey Peanut M&M's and coke. New training food? I also like cold water and cold Gatorade.

Random Thought #16:

  • I think I am going to have a $5 Footlong from Subway on the way home. Turkey, cheese, extra pickles, lettuce, chipotle dressing.

Random Thought #17:

  • What can I invent to become rich?

Random Thought #18:

  • I am tired of the hills, the wind, Powerbars, Gatorade, Clif Bloks, and this bike. It's time to get off this beast. And no, I am not running after.

What do you think about when no one is listening?

No comments: