Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Patriot Triathlon Race Report

I had an opportunity to participate in the Patriot Triathlon in Freetown, MA two weeks ago. As I prepare for Ironman Lake Placid, you may ask why would I pick a "flat" course as a prep race. For me, the answer is simple. I wanted a bike and run course in which I would have to work continuously. What I mean is, where I ride and run, we have hills upon hills. I have found that one of my weaknesses is being able to ride and run on flat roads because of the limited flats we have. I wanted a course where I would not have a chance to let my legs recover on a downhill and that I had to push the entire time. Make sense?

The Night Before:

A group of us from the GSTC made our way down to Freetown on Friday evening. Other than Boston traffic, all went smooth. Tim, Kim, Jen, Peter and I caravaned our way to the hotel where we met my parents. My mom got us her AARP, AAA, and whatever else discount she could find for the hotel. Upon arrival, we unloaded and made our way out to dinner. Peter and Kim carbo loaded with some garlic bread and beer, Jen with her gluten-free pasta and the rest of us eating our pasta and chicken.

After a nice dinner, the team decided they wanted to leave at 5 am to be at the race site. Me, I was hoping to show up and just race. But I agreed and this gave us extra time to stop at one of the 19 Dunkin Donuts along the way.

Pre-Race:
Everything in the morning went smooth. Dunkin Donut bagel for me and a little Power Bar. I added some water and Coke, just to make sure all was working properly. Dave and Paul met us at the race site and as luck would have it, there would be sun. Porta potty lines where short, transition was set up, albeit wet, and we're ready.

The Swim (projected time: 32:00-35:00)
Most of us are in the 5th wave so we got the opportunity to swim "together". I figured Dave would be the first out of the water (he can swim) but I hoped I would catch him on the bike. Once the gun goes off, I realize that this is my first triathlon since IMLP in July. Weird feeling but I feel at ease. I quickly realize that my swimming strokes are too fast and I need to slow down and "glide" through the water. I also realize that I am zig zagging my way through the swim course. No matter how much I sight breath, I feel like I am not heading in the right direction. I am feeling pretty good and making my push towards the swim finish. It is then I get punched in the face. Why is this always happening to me? I decide to let it go, shake it off and push to the finish. I get out of the water and hear my mom and dad cheering for me. I look at my watch and see 23:00. Are you kidding me? I quickly figure out that the swim is about 3/10 of a mile short. Good for me!! I see Dave a few people ahead of me so I am guessing I had a good swim.

Swim Time: 23:10 (rank of 62)
T1: I thought I had checked out the transition and that my bike was in a good spot. However, the swim shoot went all the way to the other end of the transition area, which means I have to run twice as far as I anticipated. No worries.

T1 Time: 1:37

The Bike: (projected time: 2:42:00)
The course is a 58 mile, two loop course. As mentioned before, my purpose was to push myself on the bike and to gauge my fitness level on the bike. It takes me about 10 or so minutes to get comfortable and to really get going. I really want to push myself on the bike, but not to the point of blowing up. I don't have a speedometer on my bike so I ride by feel. Early on, I pass quite a few people. A few minutes in, I catch Jen and give her a little touch on the arm. She jumps and makes a sound. I say "hi". I like to do this with people I know or race with. I push through and at about mile 15, I catch Kim and give him the same treatment. I am feeling pretty good on the bike, trying to maintain my cadence, stay consistent while riding hard. As I get to the end of the first loop, I see and hear my family. This time I hear Tammy, my mom and dad cheering me on. I wave to them and hope Jordan sees me as well. My first loop is 1:16:00!!

I was very happy with the first loop and my nutrition seems to be going well. Even if I struggle on the second loop, I will exceed my goal. My legs, especially my inner quads are starting to feel it. Pushing like this is not something they are used too. At my first time check, I am maintaining my current pace and even though I am standing and spinning more, I am not losing any speed. As I get to T2, I look down and my watch says 2:32! Legs are tired but I killed the bike course!

Bike Time: 2:33:34 (rank of 25, 22.65 mph)

T2: My legs are tired and knowing I have to run 13.1 miles is going to be tough. I am in and out of transition very quickly, grabbing my Clif Blok and running belt. For the first time, I wear a hat.

T2 Time: 0:56

The Run:

For the first time, I decide to wear a hat. I was thinking if IMLP is hot, I may want to wear one so why not try it out now. More on that in a bit. The first 2 miles, I really struggle to get my breathing under control. My quads are a little sore from the ride and I am not sure how its going to work out. Finally, around mile 3, I feel comfortable and ready to run. My pace feels good and at mile 4 a young guy begins to talk to me. I am not much of a talked (imagine that), but he asks me my pace and goal because he wants a PR for the run. I tell him I am holding about a 7:00/mile pace and hope to do around this for the 1/2 marathon. At mile 6, I begin to struggle with my pace and staying focused. Somewhere, I lost my nutrition. The only thing on the course I like is the water and I decide to drink every other water stop. Then every once and a while, the sun comes out and I am hit with some serious heat. At mile 7.1, I am at 50 minutes on my watch. I am happy but I know I will not be able to maintain this pace. I am hot and every time I want to dump water on my head, the hat stops it. It is then I realize I either have to take it off and dump water, or next time, wear a visor. Anyway, the last 5 miles I really struggle and I finally climb the last hill. I finish "strong" and again hear my family cheering for me.

Run Time: 1:37:24 (7:26/mile)

Total Time: 4:36:38 (20th out of 318, 3rd in Age Group)

Post Race Thoughts:
I think the race was a success for what it was meant to be. I was happy with the bike but need to work a little more on my running. With IMLP a month away, I think I am in a pretty good place overall.

The race was nice. With 7 GSTC members and my family there, it made for a really fun day. Peter finished his first ever 1/2 Iron distance race. Tim got two flats and was unable to finish the race. Kim, Dave, Paul and Jen all had PR's and everyone was happy.

All in all, a good day!



No comments: