Monday, July 20, 2009

Miley Cyrus, the Zen Master

An interesting thing happened while I was swimming on Monday. This was my last "formal" swim and I brought all of my swim aids with me to the pool. I wanted to do a bit of everything while enjoying the quiet morning. I used the pull buoy, fins and hand paddles. It was a relaxing swim, but strange, still the same.

Throughout the swim, I thought about this blog I wanted to write. I was going to title it "The Work Is Done" because I wanted to share all of my hours and miles that I have done getting to this point. While at changing swim aids, the Zach Brown Band came on the radio that is always playing on the pool deck. Ironically, I downloaded the song a few months early and found myself singing out loud instead of swimming.

Next, was Taylor Swift. I am not proud of this but I just downloaded this particular song last week. I began singing some of the words in the deep end instead of finishing my 50 yards. I proceeded to keep swimming until the next song came on...a song by Faith Hill. Of course, I knew some of the words, sang along and worked on finishing my swim. It was fitting that the song was called "Breathe".

Rarely will I listen to the radio in the pool, let alone know that it is even on. Most times, I am under such a time crunch and really focused on my workout. I was pleasantly relaxed and focused at the same time. Maybe it was because I knew it was my last swim or I knew the work was already done. Or maybe it was because I was decided to just enjoy the very warm water at Gunstock.

Anyway, for the last 5 minutes of my swim, I decided to just float on my back and relax. No stress, no worries, just floating alone in the pool. Just "feel" the water.

Then it came on. A song by Miley Cyrus. Yes, I know who Miley is (or Hannah Montana). Remember, I have a 6 year old at home. I actually know many of her songs by heart because I have heard them around 2 million times. But, this song caught me off guard. I knew it, heard it, but for the first time was really listening to it.

Maybe I was having a Zen-like moment, but the words from "The Climb" seem to fit everything I was going through:

I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming but
There's a voice inside my head sayin,
You'll never reach it,
Every step I'm taking,
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking but I
Got to keep trying
Got to keep my head held high

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing,
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes they knock me down but
No I'm not breaking
I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm going to remember most yeah
Just got to keep going
And I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on, cause

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

Again, I had not been drinking and I had a great night sleep. For some reason, the words in this song resonated with me. I kept thinking of the words my coach keeps saying, "It's about the process".

Initially, the words, "the climb", made a ton of sense knowing that IMLP is full of challenging hills. However, it was more. The challenge is not getting to the finish line, rather it is getting to the starting line. All of the work has been difficult and I have no idea how I will do. Questions of doubt are always floating around in my little man brain.

The race itself will be full of obstacles. As soon as the cannon goes off, me and 2400 of my closest friends will begin our climb. There will most likely be moments when I am questioning my ability, my willingness to do this event until the very end. Will my mind and body be able to hold itself together for 140.6 miles? Will I have the courage to push my body to its max and finish?

I know Billy Ray and Miley didn't write this song for me, but sometimes you hear, or see, things for a reason. I am pretty confident that Miley has no idea what an Ironman is, but her song seems to describe it pretty well. Miley, my new Zen master. Hmm??

Go back, read the words again. Is it me? Am I getting old and sentimental? Or has Miley got something here that fits Ironman Lake Placid and the challenges we may face?

1 comment:

Jeannete said...

Dave-I downloaded the song for my nike+ and it brings me back to two places every time I hear it...one is of me finishing a marathon, and the second is of my 70.3 DNF last Timberman. It's motivational for me and even though it's just a song, it reminds me to put some perspective on my efforts. And that moving toward my goal is rewarding.