Monday, September 7, 2009

May I Have A Drink, Please

During the last 4 years, I have had some difficulty with nutrition, specifically hydration. For some reason, I can not get this part of my racing correct. Every time I think I have it figured out, something bad happens.

After each endurance event, I get very sick after it. It has happened after a 1/2 marathon, marathon, Ironman and every 1/2 Ironman in the last four years. At first I thought it was me pushing my body too hard during the race. Then, I thought it was just my specific nutrition I used during the race. Then, I finally figured out (with help from Tammy) that I was significantly dehydrated.

First, let me give you some history with a few of my issues from past races:
  1. Timberman 70.3 (2005): This was my first 70.3 race and with only two weeks before the race, I decided to make an attempt at the distance. Never riding 56 miles and running 13.1 miles back to back, I figured I was in for a long day. The race went a lot better than expect but after the race, my body, stomach and mind went south fast. After about 30 minutes, I knew I was in trouble. I thought it was fatigue and overdoing it. I was driving my 2 year old home and barely remember any of it. After putting her down for a nap, I tried to take a shower. I was in and out of consciousness, barely staying awake. I called Tammy, asking her to come home immediately. Once she arrived, I took a nap and only felt better after about 5 hours later.
  2. Manchester Marathon (2007): With my first attempt at a marathon, again everything went pretty well. After crossing the finishing line, within 30 minutes I started getting sick to my stomach. On the ride home, we stopped to get food. While waiting in the car, I had to get out and throw up in some bushes in the parking lot. Then, on 93N, we had to pull over so I could throw up again on the side of the road.
  3. Ironman Lake Placid (2008): Race went a lot better than anticipated but this time, the sickness hit 24 hours later. Intitially, I felt really good, just tired. I was able to eat and drink. Then the "fun" began. It began around midnight with diarrhea, then vomiting for the next 12 hours. No matter what I tried to get into me, it came right back out. I felt awful. I wasn't better until 3 days later and even so, I struggled with everything.
  4. Big Lake 1/2 Marathon (2009): I hadn't planned on racing but did anyway. Although it is one of the shorter distances for what I have been training for, I was sick again. I tried to eat, then diarrhea and dry heaves hit me within 45 minutes of finishing. Light headed and struggling to stay functional crept in. I thought I was going to be fine but it took about 5 hours to finally feel "normal".
  5. Timberman 70.3 (2009): After struggling on the bike and doing a walk/run for the 13.1 miles, I figured I would be fine. I drank on the run, ate a little and even had a cup of cold soda. Upon crossing the finish line, I thought I would be fine. However, after about 45 minutes, I things went bad. I went to the food tent to load up. While waiting in line, the smell got to me and I had to run out behind the trucks...dry heaves. I gathered myself and sat at a table with family and friends. I was beginning to get warm and tired. Here it comes, back to the woods to dry heave. I laid out on a platform in the shade for about 15 minutes. My body was shot, I was tired and light headed. I loaded up the truck and sat in it for about 10 minutes with the AC on. As soon as I got home, I ran to the bathroom and threw up, twice.

This is just five examples, but there are more. After this years disasters in both IMLP and Timberman ( was also sick after the 1/2 marathon and the Patriot 1/2), I knew something had to change. I had to either stop racing these distances or figure out what was truly wrong. Tammy told me my problem, DEHYDRATION.

I went online and sure enough, she was 100% correct. I had had all the symptoms of sever dehydration. It was so bad, I probably should have been pumped with IV's after most of these events. My body was shutting it self down to protect the major organs. Not cool.

I have worked on drinking and eating plans over the last few years. It always seems to work in training but never on race day. I basically know why, but figured I could just get through it from race to race. Hydration is not a race day only thing but a day to day thing and everyday thing.

The bad news is it took me this long to realize what a big mistake I have been making with my health.The good news, I have time to figure out how fix this. I have been doing research and talking to lots of people who know a lot more than me about this issue.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, let me know. And, I'll drink to that!

No comments: