Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Return of "DJ For 3"

This is about getting back to having fun.

Back in 1987-88, I was a senior in high school. I had just completed my last season playing soccer. At that time, I was pretty good in soccer, being all-league, all-state and making the Lions Cup Team (best in VT vs. the best in NH). After making the Lions Cup Team, I respectfully rejected the opportunity to play in this all-star game.

I am not sure how many people knew this at the time, but a sport that I had grown to really love, I had come to hate. I hated practice, games and everything to do with it. I can tell you in all honesty, it was because of the coach. He completely took the fun out of the game. After my senior year, I vowed never to play soccer again.

Ironically, in my first or second game of the basketball season, I had a great game against one of our hated rivals. I can't tell you how many points I scored, but I distinctly remember the crowd being electric and my excitement for the playing basketball. It was so much fun.

Well, that night, a coach from Plymouth State College was there recruiting our rivals best player. As luck would have it, he saw me play a great game. After the game, he spoke with my coach and a few months later, I was on the campus of PSC, one of 13 hoop freshman getting ready for the season.

As a freshman, I had no expectations. I was a 135 lb, 5'9 white kid from rural Vermont. My roommate was 6'10 and I was in a house with 7 other freshman, all of them being 6'3 or taller. Our captains were both 1000 point scorers and were both guards. I understood my role and sat at the end of the bench most of the season, playing about 5 minutes a game. During that time, I somehow got the nickname "DJ".

During my sophomore year, my personal expectations went up. I would have a chance to start and even play a lot of minutes. In my first game on the road, I came of the bench and scored 21 points. The game felt easy and I was having fun. Somewhere along the way, my coach at that time, decided to play games with me. Start me one game, bench me the next. I didn't know if I was coming or going. He did this with player after player. The season was a nightmare even though I led the team in scoring.

I was really unhappy and thought it was time to transfer to a new school. I loved basketball. Absolutely loved it. Interestingly enough, my coach decided to leave PSC and coach somewhere else. The new coach would be Paul Hogan, the man who recruited me out of high school.

Towards the end of the school year, he pulled me into his office. He told me that he knew I was looking to go elsewhere, but if I stayed, things would change. He told me I had to shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Get in the weight room and lift. Be in great shape because we were going to run and press for 40 minutes, every game, every night.

The summer going into my junior year I did just what he asked. I lifted, played, shot and shot and shot. I got into great shape, put on some muscles and worked on my game. That summer, I worked for my father doing some hard labor. My day consisted of going to work at 6:00 am and working 10-11 hours. I would fly home, eat and head off to the gym to play or lift. I was in bed by 9:00, sound asleep. Three months of pure bliss (yes, that is sarcasm).

When the season finally arrived, I was excited. My hard worked had payed off. I was faster, stronger and could shoot with anyone. Our team was fast and athletic. We averaged close to 90 points a game and won a bunch of games. We were exciting to watch and every time I made a three pointer, our home announcer would yell "DJ for threeeee!" Again, I led the team in scoring.

Heading into my senior year, I had a chance to become the all-time leading scorer in PSC history. Never did I imagine this would happen, especially after a disappointing sophomore year and limited playing time as a freshman. Again, my coach advised me to play as much as I could, work on improving my shooting range and become stronger.

I went out and worked 7 basketball camps that summer all over New England. I played against NBA professionals, Division I studs and whoever else that wanted to play. I worked, but I loved every minute of it. I was enjoying myself, pushing my abilities and working to be the best I could become. Every time I stepped on to the court, I wanted to prove I belonged out there.

During my senior year, I loved going to practice. Our team was expected to do big things. Regardless of the scoring records, I was having fun. I was excited to step on the floor each day. It was my sanctuary. No matter what was going on in my life, those 2+ hours were my time to be a kid playing a game.

So, you may ask what has this have to do with triathlons. Here is the connection. When my basketball career ended, it took me about 8 years to find something that satisfied my competitive nature while having fun doing it. As you already know, I hated to run, didn't have a bike and only swam when needed.

Then, a funny thing happened...I signed up for the Timberman. After the race, I was excited. Happy. And I wanted more. I wanted to get better. Stronger. Faster. I was having fun doing something physically and mentally challenging.

Somewhere, somehow, during the last 6-8 months, it stopped being fun. Whether it was self induced or self fulfilling, I lost sight as to "why" I started participating in triathlons. Yes, training is difficult. Yes, it is expensive. And yes, it takes a lot of time. But for me, it was all FUN. I enjoyed the rides, the runs and even the swims. I still had high expectations, but they motivated me and helped me become better.

One of the best things I did after the Ironman NDF was to go back out and watch everyone race. To watch them suffer, smile, cry, laugh and realize their dreams was something I needed to see. I was a great reminder as to why I began participating in triathlons. It was the same reason why I tell everyone that they can do it. Nothing beats crossing the finish line.

"DJ for threee" was fun. Finishing the 3 sports of a triathlon are fun, too. It's time to go back to having fun. And I am sure if I have any further successes, will be because I was having fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

David,
Enjoy your blog. Great stuff to see your mind work and how you can come full circle to waht matters in life even with adversity. Happy times!
Mark